Jan 21, 2011

Preloved and Reloved

The Great American Apparel Diet seems to be spreading in Europe as well. More and more people are considering to stop shopping high street brands and instead wear the clothes from their very own wardrobes or buy second-hand or vintage.

Yours truly have loads of dresses and shirts and jackets stored, with love and care of course, at parents' attic. Some never worn before. And shoes I clean forgot they've been in my possession.

Kim Sklinar (PrelovedReloved) was interviewed by Matt Bramford for Amelia`s Magazine about her challenge to wear only recycled, vintage or second-hand items for one year to raise awareness of clothing ethics and money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

I also made a vow to myself not to buy things I do not need. For now, with the exception of Tuesday t-shirt (I swear I was in need:D), I do succeed in avoiding temptation (since November I sinned twice which I consider not bad:)
Let's see for how long, but I promise: I won't buy anything from the high street stores. The next item I will pay for will be made by my dress maker, second-hand or a vintage outfit of my dreams:)

I much more prefer to spend the money on ice skating till the end of March here on the Rathausplatz. Or anything else. Good food most probably.

Anyway, not to get you bored:)

Have a look at the illo I made for the interview with Kim. There is a vintage touch in it -
my grandmother's photograph, taken when she was about 20 years old. I scanned it a few months ago with the intention of using it for my personal project, which will hopefully happen anyway, but just couldn't resist putting it in this work.

My grandmother loved clothes and accessories, shoes most from what I remember. This is something I kind of "inherited" after her. She worked as a dress maker and when I was 7 or 8 she taught me how to sew dresses for my Barbie. She bought me even the kid sewing machine. I loved it. I am very sorry I cannot sew and haven't learned how to do "adult" versions.
But who knows, maybe I will catch up with sewing and in the future will surprise you and myself with an amazing self-made outfit...



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Bardzo mi się podoba ta notka. Jakie przyjemne wspomnienie, zwłaszcza dziś - w Dniu Babci... :) Musisz częściej pisać opowieści do swych ilustracji!

xx said...

zajrzalas! i skomentowalas! dziekuje Ci bardzo, jest mi przeogromnie milo! taka refleksja, zainspirowana tekstem i blogiem Kim, czasowo zgrana idealnie. chcialabym czesciej pisac, ale zwyczajnie brak mi weny:) postaram sie jednak w przyszlosci:)

Unknown said...

Ależ ja zaglądam tu regularnie i bardzo mi sie podoba Twoja twórczość! Tylko rzeczywiscie nie udzielalam sie dotychczas, nadrobie te braki...:)

silvia sencekova said...

ice skating at Rathausplatz...I never did but was watching it with Mr.T all the time, used to live 3 min from there...I miss Vienna reading this post :)

xx said...

Silvia, you have to try it sometime, it´s great fun:) you lived in a very beautiful neighbourhood!

Anna W. said...

cudo!
ja od długiego czasu nie kupuję w high street shops więc ten wpis jest mi tak bliski:)a w Szwecji jest to takie proste - mozna znaleźc tyle skarbow i to nie tylko takiech wyjsciowych, oryginalnych, ale fajne, porzadne tzw. t-shirty - bieliznowe, legins, nie wspominajac o szklankach i talerzach ktore nieraz potrafia byc przepiekne (czasem droższe, czasem śmiesznie tanie). no ale w Polsce tez można znaleźć. to wrecz moje hobby - grzebac w second handach - zaspokaja to somehow moja potrzebe kreatywności:D
no a obrazek piękny - super wspomnienie o babci. ty musisz zaczać szyć!!!! (po dorosłemu:)

xx said...

nie moge sie doczekac wycieczki do Szwecji tez ze wzgledu na uciechy oka:)nie wiem jak to z tym szyciem, czuje sie za staro;) przy okazji nastepnej wizyty u rodzicow mam plan na male szycie wlasnie:)

Karina Järv said...

Great post! And I am in love with this retro-vintage-illustration :)